Diurnal is a global pharmaceutical company focused on chronic endocrine conditions, who are currently based in Wales. OSP was appointed as one of Diurnal’s European creative agencies in 2015.
We were initially approached to develop a brand for a new paediatric rare disease drug and later commissioned to come up with an impactful launch campaign for the drug that could be deployed across multiple countries on multiple code-compliant channels.
The branding element involved:
- Logo and wider brand development
- Messaging and positioning
- Development of a brand book
- Creating a photography style and collating a library of brand images
Once the brand was established we began developing a campaign that would:
- Raise awareness around the unmet needs of children with this paediatric rare disease.
- Promote its solution whilst adopting a creative cross-channel approach.
- Build reputational trust amongst key opinion leaders, patients/families and payers.
Like all of our branding projects we began with a detailed brief to the team, followed by in depth research into both Diurnal and the disease area.
Once we became familiar with the product’s key benefits, target audience, markets and, more importantly, the brand’s communications strategy, our brand strategist developed a brand workshop that we would go on to run with Diurnal’s brand and communications team.
During the hands-on workshop, we gathered many of the elements we needed to build the brand. Working closely with Diurnal’s brand team along with other members of the wider team (e.g. commercial director and medical affairs) meant we were able to get a better sense of what the organisation as a whole wanted to achieve.
Throughout the project, the OSP project lead diarised a weekly ‘state of play’ meeting with the client. This gave both us and the client the opportunity to discuss and share timelines, budget updates and creative developments. Communication wasn’t kept strictly to these calls and often the client would call in daily to ask for advice. All communications and progress reports were tracked within our project management system, Wrike™.
The methodology used was as follows (in summary):
- Post workshop OSP’s strategic and design team worked together to develop a statement that explained the unmet need. We then analysed the information we had gathered so far and developed a set of values, a tone of voice, personality, positioning statement, USPs, key messages and summarised their mission.
- With the brand fundamentals under our belt, we went on to develop the visual part of the brand — the logo, typeface, colour schemes, design style and photography style.
- After a rigorous review process and a few tweaks, we developed the rest of the brand, created various assets and completed the brand book.
- Alongside completing the brand book, we also began work on the campaign.
The client decided that a ‘big idea’ needed to be developed that focused on one single powerful image and one supportive strapline. This was mainly due to the brand being in its infancy, plus the marketing manager was keen to ensure the campaign was not diluted.
The methodology used was as follows
- Using the unmet need / problem statement, the creative director plotted a mind map; the centre of the mind map containing what action we wanted the audience to take.
- OSP then took time to research the competitive landscape.
- We held an OSP group project meeting to combine thinking and poll thoughts to date before writing up a report of our findings which was submitted to Wrike™ for easy future access.
- We started sketching up ideas, in pencil, and writing draft straplines.
- We developed concepts and created mood boards that presented the campaign concept in an understandable light.
- We presented all ideas and rationale to the client.
- We developed a fully worked up draft advert.
- After approval, we wrote fully worked up accompanying copy.
- We created a suite of campaign materials that utilised the same concept across different platforms, all optimised for the channel.
- We measured, reported and improved.
We had developed an entire brand book when, halfway through the campaign project, we were presented with a considerable challenge; the medical licence changed meaning the target age range for the product changed from 0-6 to 0-18. Whilst this was a positive change for our client, it had a huge impact on the brand and we had to start the campaign — and brand itself — again, in a much shorter space of time. One challenge after working so closely to the project was having the ability to clear our minds of the work we’d created to date to ensure we had a fresh approach. Although there was a short turnaround time, we presented three different concepts and the client selected one which they felt ‘nailed it’ in terms of what they wanted to achieve. We got to work flowing the new concept across all pieces of content, which were quickly approved by the client.
To date, we have created more than 50 pieces of material for the campaign, most of which have been published in printed and online journals in multiple languages around the world, on websites, at congress meetings, on exhibition booth panels, within sponsorship activities and direct mail campaigns. Each piece created shares the same brand relevant concept, a consistent tone of voice, brand identity, and ethos.
The success of this campaign is hard to measure because the product is a prescription only medication that is currently only licensed in a few countries. However, the client is delighted with the increasing awareness of its product and the fact they are getting new leads on a daily basis.